Butter Bean Hommus
Good Friday and a family barbecue had been very informally arranged. I decided that we needed to take a dip, but the one in the fridge was only suitable to feed to the chooks (chickens – yes this is an Australian blog). No chickpeas (garbanzo beans) so a traditional hommus was out of the question.
A can of butter beans to the rescue. This one seemed to attract some favourable attention. Served with gluten free crackers.
- 1 can of butter beans (drained)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of unhulled tahini (estimate – I just dolloped some in)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Juice of 1 small lemon + some zest
- Juice of 1 small lime + some zest
- Olive oil
Place butter beans, tahini, garlic and juices into a food processor and whizz it up to a smooth paste. Adjust juice and tahini to taste.
Transfer to serving dish and garnish with a sprinkle of sumac, zest and a drizzle of olive oil.